Family Histories

Newell Family History

"This letter was send to the GVHS by Elizabeth Thomson who describes it as follows:

Briefly, it is a letter written by my cousin , Henry Newell in 1931. In this long letter he describes what he can remember being told about the family. He was retired at the time. The Newell, Somerville and Nesbitt families came to the Gatineau Valley in the 1830s in two separate voyages. The Nesbitts may have been earlier. He describes the situation and events leading up to their departure for the New World. During the first trip of the Newell's, tragedy struck which changed the eventual course for this family. They had left the Gatineau Valley by 1840 for greener pastures in Elgin County in SW Ontario. Some members of the other families also went.

Although the letter deals in large part with the families in Ontario, there is valuable information about their origins and their early days in the Gatineau Valley."

The descendants of James Newell

Martha Sumeral (Somerville) of Armagh County Ireland 1805-1931 in Elgin County, Ontario, Canada

Forwarded to Mrs. Gordon Newell by Henry Newell (a Senator of Iowa U.S.A) who has caused the following lines to be written and typed, trusting they will be accepted in the same spirit as manifested by the writer.

Le Mars, Iowa
July 12, 1931.

To-day, July 12, 1932, being the ninety-ninth anniversary date of my father's birth, and within a few days of the one hundredth anniversary of my grandfather's (Robert N.) and grandmother's arrival from Armagh County, Ireland, first viewing land as they approached the ancient city of Quebec on a late June morning in the year 1831.

Naturally after considering the date, I am of a somewhat reminiscent mood especially so, as recently a brother of many years my junior suggested to me by mail that I write a brief history of our ancestors for the benefit of younger brothers, nieces, nephews, and incidentally for my own son and grandchildren, that they may know more particulars of their ancestry than has been the privilege to learn during the past.

I cannot class the following lines as the work worthy of being called a history, but rather as a lengthy personal letter to those to whom I may forward a copy.

I have passed the three quarter of a century of life myself, and have some personal knowledge or the earlier relatives, as I was old enough to recall the death date of both my great-grandfather and my great-grandmother (Jas. Newell and Martha S.) and as I approached the age of maturity I was privileged to visit with my grandfather in the year 1876, also in 1878, and in 1884, and in 1889. On these occasions I found pleasure in questioning him as to his early life in Ireland and early days in Upper and Lower Canada. I also recall many times my father Alex mentioning matters of interest relating to his childhood years.

Going back to about the year 1825, there lived in North Ireland in Armagh County, a man by the name of James Newell and his wife whose family name was Sumeral (Martha Somerville) and at that date no number of close relatives of this couple could be claimed on either side. He was the son of James Newell who with his brother Francis (who never married) had come to Ireland from Scotland some time earlier. This brother Francis was lame and a good musician.

This ancestor of ours had been a linen weaver in the early years but about the date mentioned has secured a long time lease on a small agriculture tract of land and lived upon it. The oldest son (Robert our grandfather) was born July 1st, 1805, next a son John, 1807, two sisters Martha and Mary, other sons James, Andrew, Alex, and Poster, all born before the year 1825.

Robert married Hannah Lindsay Geno
John"Nancy Whitcraft
James"Jane Lindsay
Andrew"Eliza Hastings
Alex"Rebecca Rogers
Foster"Margaret Alwood
Martha"Joseph Nesbitt
Mary"Reuben Johnson

About the year 1829 my grandfather married a widow by the name of Hannah Lindsay Geno who had two small children, David and Matilda. Her husband had been serving in the regular British Army and was transferred to British India and died in the service from some acute disease.

Grandfather had been several years in an oat mill prior to marriage but after marriage his father transferred to him the lease on the tract or lend referred to above. The family then moved some twelve miles distant, probably into Monehegan County.

In the early spring of 1831, grandfather thought much of starting for America to Lower Canada, having in some manner learned of land in abundance and opportunity for labor in the new Country. Having an opportunity to sell the lease on his land which he held, at a good premium, he saw money enough in sight to make the trip. He hastily walked twelve miles to tell his parents, brothers, and sisters of his intention. His brother John also had married a couple years earlier, and the suggestion was made that John and his wife also go to Canada. With much persuasion our great-aunt Nancy consented to make the trip and hastily made necessary arrangements for the contemplated voyage. Grandfather Robert with his wife, two step-children, and one son a year old, and great-uncle John's one son nearly a year old, planned to go. There were eight persons in all. The parting of family ties was hard without much prospect of ever meeting again on earth.

In due time they boarded a sailing vessel at Belfast, taking steerage passage in common with several hundred others, including Irish, English, and Scotch people. Slow was the passage. Adverse winds were numerous. It was a trip of twelve weeks duration.

Grandfather relates he had a speaking acquaintance with all the adult males when the trip was ended, being of a jovial, happy disposition. He sang well and helped entertain others with light mirthful songs. All went well for a few weeks. Later great-uncle John's son took sick and died at sea and was buried under ship regulations near the mid-Atlantic Ocean. The grief of this young mother was intense. She recalled how reluctantly she had consented to make the voyage, and lamented "If I had stayed home, I would have my first born son yet." Naturally grief lessened as time went on, and on a late June day, the ship anchored in the St. Lawrence River at Quebec City, Lower Canada.

Here it was decided that grandfather and family should continue on a smaller vessel to Montreal and later up the Ottawa River to where Ottawa City (the beautiful capital city of the Dominion) now stands, then a small village called Bytown. From there they went twenty miles up a river called Gatineau and commenced home life in the most primitive manner possible, having brought a few cooking utensils with them from the old country.

Hospitality of the neighbours and helpfull assistance made life bearable. The country was very rough and stoney and soil not good and gainful labor scarce. He got possession of a piece of land and made a scanty living from 1831 to 1840, working a lengthly period in a saw pit helping cut lumber on a small scale hand saw, one man above the log to pull and saw upward, the other below in the pit to pull the saw downward. one hundred feet of uneven thickness was considered a day's work. The compensation was one British shilling per day, a small fraction less than the Canadian twenty-five cent coin of to-day.

I will now go back and note the trip of great-uncle John and his wife. Aunt Nancy recalling that some of her girlhood friends were living in Upper Canada on the north shore of Lake Erie, believing that if she could once meet these friends it would lessen her grief over the loss of her son, made inquiries at Quebec as to thbile bile e route westward and took a vessel for the passage up the st. Lawrence and into Lake Ontario.

The early Welland Canal carried them into Lake Erie, thence westward to Port Stanley and made their way into the heart of Malahide Township about July 1st, 1831, being the first ones of the name Newell in that locally that was to become the home of many others of a later date of the same family, although at that date not looked for or expected. (Now the Pepper farm Conn. 9 and within a mile or so of the present home of his great grand-daughter to whom this is being sent). I recall this great-uncle telling me of his early day experiences in that locality. He was an expert at hewing the ends of logs to fit in when building the log houses common in that day, and his services were in great demand throughout the country.

Some of his handiwork may still be in evidence if any such buildinge are still in existence. These two families now were four hundred miles apart, one in Lower Canada and the other in Upper Canada, and date 1831 midsummer season, and each sharing the hardships and privations of pioneer life at a date when even the most prosperous had nothing more than the barest necessities of daily life, with the certain prospect of continued labor and self-denial in sight for a long time to come.

Mail facilities were slow and postage was high and correspondence by grandfather after long intervals of anxiety succeeded in inducing his father's family to make preparations to come to America. The principal argument being broad acres of original timber land for sale by the Government or through colonizing agents. If not purchased it would be squatted upon and squatter's rights protected.

About 1835 the father, mother, and sons James, Alexander, Andrew, and Foster, and sisters Martha and Mary arrived in Lower Canada having a favourable voyage, and started the struggle for an independent self-supporting living. Grandfather and grandmother also induced her aged father (John Lindsay) and three brothers, John, Thomas, and William Lindsay and two sisters to make the voyage. I cannot say whether the mother (Martha Wallace, a native of Scotland) was then alive or not, (see Appendix A) but the father died in Lower Canada ere others went west to Upper Canada. Thus a large group of relatives were located close together and a social life was of suitable order, but the struggle for daily bread taxed the energy of this little group of determined people to the full limit of their ability.

The winters were long and severe and snowfall was heavy of ten cutting off communications for a while between families.

My father, Alexander Newell although a boy of but eight years of age when he left Lower Canada, has often quoted the discomfort and poverty incidental to the times -- shoeless, and insuffielent clothing to spend any portion of time outside of the cabin in the winter season, and food shortage a portion of the time.

About the year 1839, Alexander Newell, a hardy youth in his eighteenth year, said to his parents and brothers and sisters, "I'm going to Upper Canada and look up Brother John and family." He had not seen them since he was ten years of age, the date of the two older brothers start for America. Consent was given and he started out on the four hundred mile trip with but a small amount of money, expecting to walk the greater part of the way. Hospitality was a trait of the pioneer in that day and he found but little difficulty in securing meals and lodging.

A Joyful day it was when the youth reached his destination and greeted his brother and family. He was welcome as a guest, able to give much Information regarding the health and surroundings of the members of the original family. He contrasted the natural advantages of the two sections of Canada, here in the Malahide Township a good soil lying almost level, free from stone, rock, satisfactory water supply, and so much farther south that winters would be more favorable, close to Lake Erie with established shipping facilities and plenty of available land easily obtained through the Colonel Talbot colonizing agency. His decision was that he would go back and picture that section as a second garden of Eden and beleived that he could induce his father's family to make the move.

This youth obtained work with the government works for a time and was able to secure passage via lakes and rivers to a point near home.

He immediately began to play the part of a more modern real estate agent in glowing terms he pictured the new found land as flowing with milk and honey. The result was that our grandfather's and the numerous Lindsay brothers all commenced planning for the move south westward. Those holding land could dispose of their equity for small suns. In a few months many of them were ready to start by teams on the four hundred mile trip. The streams were bridged and a route of through travel from east to west had been in use for years, paralleling the north shore of Lake Ontario via Kingston, Toronto, and Hamilton.

I'm not certain that all of our relatives on both sides of grandfather's house made the trip at the same time, but I know that they all got to their new home land in a reasonable short space of time.

Our grandfather's family now consisted of two step-children, three sons, and one daughter. His brother James was married in Hull in 1838 to a sister of grandmother's (Jane Lindsay) making three family groups.

The great grandfather's family then consisted of two daughters, Martha and Mary, and sons Andrew, Alexander, and Foster. This means that there were but three homes to make at that date. John had already lived there from 1831 and I beleive it was in the year 1840 that the large group reached Malahide. This group included three adult uncles (the Lindsay's) and one sister. (I will say but little about our grandmother's people, the Lindsays, except that the brothers married and lived to a good age and reared families who spent their lives in that section of Canada), The sister married a man by the name of Armstrong and her husband died in early life, she living later years in that locality. She had daughters. The section of Malahide was referred to as little Ireland in early years, as a large number of families had come direct from the old land and located there. (See Appendix A)

In due time, Martha Newell married Joseph Nesbitt and lived to a good old age on a farm near Springfield, rearing a family of four daughters and two sons. One daughter Rebekah, never married and was living at Springfield in the summer of 1929. She died March 15, 1941 aged 84. One daughter Mrs. Lane in London, the oldest son after middle life went down near Niagara Falls to live, dying there. The other son and one daughter dying years ago - and Mrs. Wilsie died May 1, 1937, (a daughter). I recall visiting in their home in the fall of 1878. The other sister Mary Newell, married a Mr. Johnson and died about middle age leaving sons. I met Joseph in 1923 in San Diego, California, he having spent many years in Utah State. The other brother Humphrey, lived a full life in close proximity to his childhood home. John Robert, Foster, Martha (Dexter). (See Appendix A)

Andrew Newell spent his full life on a farm and died at a great age in the early part of the present century. They raised three daughters, Betsy, Mable, and Herriet, who married and later lived in Malahide, and three sons, one Janes who became an M.D. and practiced about forty-five years in Wyoming and Warford and died in 1924. Another son became an Episcopalian Minister and served charges in territory west of Hamilton and died at a comparatively young age. The youngest son Andrew Jr. still lives at Springfield. I met him at the reunion in July 1929. James Newell who married in Lower Canada spent his active life in the township of Malahide rearing a large family of sons. I recall Charles, William James, George, John, and Robert and Joseph, Wallace and Thomas. The former four I met in early childhood years, Robert dying since. I met Joseph (died April 15, 1932) July 1929 and heard of his health and condition in the early summer of this year. There was one daughter in the family, Martha (Moore). In the main these sons spent their active lives in that locality.

I visited the graves of my great-grandfather and great-grandmother, greet Uncle James and wife, and the great Aunt, Mrs. Johnson, in the Fall of 1925. They are buried in a cemetry on the Talbot Road in the home township (Burdick Cemetry, two miles east of Aylmer), hence there lles the mortal remains of our first ancestry in America; the parents, son James, and daughter Mary Johnson, and Martha Moore on one lot, the great-grandfather dying Sept. 25, 1859 aged 79, and the great-grandmother in 1864 if I am correct, great-grandfather dying from an accident falling from the back of his trusty horse as he hoisted an umbrella in a shower of rain. Born about 1780.

We boys are the third generation down, our children the fourth, and our grandchildren the fifth. In other families there are six generations now. Of course, they are young children.

In 1848 our grandfather, Robert Newell (Uncle Robin to many) moved from Malahide to North Dorchester about twelve miles from the original home where he bought two hundred acres of Government land with a view of seeing his three sons, Robert James, our father Alexander, and John, each settled on a fifty acre tract, and anticipating that the youngest son George William would occupy the homestead with the parents in their later life. Grandmother died in 1870, and about 1873 Grandfather married an aged widow by the name of Mrs. Farquhar, a long time resident of the neighborhood, he sixty-nine years old, she fifty-nine. She died about ten years later; he lived till the late months of the year 1896. He was ninety-one years of age and was buried at Putnamville Cemetry by the side of his first wife -- second wife bụried by the side of her first husband. Robert James, eldest son, and wife, and William George, youngest son, and wife, and step-daughter, Matilda Johnson, who died in 1869, and not less than five grandchildren, are buried on the lot there. Robert James living to fifty-five years of age and William George living to almost eighty years. Uncle John died at San Diego, California, in April 1920 at the age of 82 years.

John Newell, the pioneer of Malahide whom you recall reached that location June 1831, after seeing his entire father's family and host of other friends from Ireland, comfortably located as neighbors and co-residents for a term of years, concluded he would sell and move west about sixty-five miles to a locality known as Warwick and Brooke Townships. Here he took up land and lived to a great age, rearing a family of one son, Isaac, and daughters Jane, and Mary who married a man by the name of Hastings. Ann (died Sept. 15, 1913) and Margaret (born Aug. 31, 1848, died Sept. 16, 1937) never married. They spent their full later life on the homestead. Isaac married and spent his entire married life on an adjoining farm and reared a large family. I often met him and family after I was fifteen years of age. He lived to be eighty or over, and his wife to still a greater age. Jane married Thomas Kady and lived in Warwick until about 1884 when they and numerous families went to Manitoba, dying at advanced age he in British Columbia and his wife in Alberta. A number of their children and grandchildren are still in the Northwestern Provinces. The two eldest sons of the family being over age remained in Ontario, both now deceased, Isaac (born Oct. 29, 1856, died June 10, 1923) living in Warwick to the end of his life and William (born July 29, 1854, died May 24. 1931) spending the major part of his life in Michigan.

Margaret, an aged daughter is still alive and a resident on the homestead of her parents where she was probably born, now I fancy well above eighty years of age. (Margaret died Sept. 16, 1937). The great Uncle and Aunt lived over sixty-one years of married life together, and are buried in a country cemetry south of Watford, the family remaining consistent members of the Church of England to the end of their days.

Alexander, the brother, also moved to Warwick near the time his brother John did and located there and took up land about three miles east of John's. I beleive he married in Malahide and took his young bride to the humble home in the timber where she spent her remaining years rearing sons and daughters and living over three score years. Later the husband sold the farm and purchased one near Forest about fifteen miles north in partnership with his son, Foster, dying at an advanced age. Their sons, Samuel and James, farmed after marriage in the locality near the parental home The daughter I know little of but think they went over to Pontiac, Michigan and married. Samuel later also went to Michigan and James remaining in Warwick to the end of his life; his wife dying, he married a sister-in-law (Nancy Brooks), the widow of his younger brother Foster, who died about middle life period. The children who were cousins became step-brothers and step-sisters to each other.

During early days Alexander kept a public house so to speak, not a tavern, but a private home of size and furnished lodging and food to early day travellers. The road he lived on ran parallel to the London-Sarnia Road six miles south of it and was much traveled in early days by persons making distance to the west towards St. Clair River territory.

Foster Newell at maturity married and remained in Malehide Township during his life time. He played violin, "got religion" and smashed it. The youngest sons at that date usually consolidated business interests with that of their parents, as did this son. He lived but a short time following the death of his parents, leaving small children. The widow Margaret Alward married later and was still living, at least was last November in Alberta province, with a daughter Mrs. Mary Woolley who died early in 1932. She is well up in the nineties. The sons grew to manhood and two of them learned the art of cheese making and went to the state of Wisconsin as dairying interests developed there. In later life I think I learned they went to Saskatchewan province. (James, Frank, Andrew, Reuben (deceased)).

I have thus traced to the best of my knowledge the career of the Newell Family group that crossed the Atlantic and became pioneers in the older Canada. It would be easy to narrate many handicaps and tales of poverty incidental to such an early date.

I take it for granted that my brothers have a much greater knowledge of our own grandfather and descendants than they have of the great-uncle's families. hence I have tried to speak of the great-uncle and great-aunt's families in some detail.

I lived until I was over eleven years of age less than sixty rods from my grandparents home and was in their home hundreds of times. I well remember many events of interest, to me at least. My grandmother was without booklearning as she called it, but was credited with being the business head of the family and did much out-of-door work from 1848 to 1865 on their homestead as the sons Robert James then eighteen years of age, and my father Alex were working for themselves when the parents took the land and John and William George were mere boys. A road had been cleared of timber through from Springfield to the south, to Putnamville to the north where it connected with the Hamilton Road, east to Hamilton, west to London, then a small town of some age. The fourteen mile stretch of country had but little cleared land at that date but there were numerous cabins or log houses occupied by sturdy settlers.

Grandfather enjoyed social life. He was a good entertainer (a decided characteristic of many of the name), had many witty stories to suit the occasion, sang light songs, had a profound love for children, and a very impelling desire to be helpful to others, stranger, friend, or relative, much to his neglect of self interest.

Wild game and animal life were abundant in those days in that locality but as was the custom of early settlers to settle as closely together as possible and at this early date, the country to the west was fairly well occupied and in a few years municipal government of the township became a success. Government money was available for making roads, but little large bridging was necessary, many small bridges needful. Oxen were the principal teams and short trips the rule, from 1848 to 1855, the date of my birth, much change had taken place and homes even humble were much appreciated.

Uncle Robert James had married as early as 1851 and opened a home. Father married in 1854, August 13th, and started housekeeping. Aunt Margaret Jane had married Johnson earlier than my parents and lived two and a half miles distance. Uncle John married about 1858; thus the four families lived in a row, each on a fifty acre farm having a frontage of sixty rods each with some clearing and plenty of timber yet to be moved after my recollection.

In the early sixties our grandparents began to see better days and were able to have some luxuries of their choice. Grandmother's china dishes, her silk dress; Grandfather's broadcloth suit and high silk plug hat, and a two-seated leather top family carriage appeared on the farm in the year 1865.

We moved to Adelaide in the spring of 1867 and my being in the home of our grandparents was an impossibility for the next ten years. I was there not more than twice in that time. Grandmother died in the year 1870 in January. Ere the year of 1859 the log house was abandoned and a frame house built. It had the fireplace for cooking: the cranes and large metal kettles and blazing hot fires are still fresh in my memory. Large logs or split timber in the house for night fires, later a cook stove was placed in an annex to the house but not used in the cold season of the year as that section of the house was for summer use only.

Uncle William George Newell married a year or more after Grandmother's death, the two families using the same house. Grandfather lived there as a widower. Later Uncle William George bought the farm of Uncle Robert James adjoining and moved thereon. This left Grandfather on the homestead. He married later and continued to live there, milking cows and caring for a few sheep. He later moved to a fifty acre tract controlled by his wife where he labored milking cows, delivering milk, cutting hay, and raising feed in a small way. He was active in labor till he was well past eighty years of age. With the death of his second wife, he went back to the old homestead, the house in the meantime burning down. He bought and moved a small house to the site of the old one and after he was eighty-five years old batched in said house.

Later he went to live with John Robert Newell, his eldest grand son nearby, where he spent the remaining years of his life.

His two step-children mentioned above, married and established homes in early life in that locality, Aunt Matilda marrying a man from Ireland who had settled in the locality. He was thrifty and a careful man in his business methods and lived in ease all his later life. Aunt died about 1869. There were no children in the family. The step-son David Geno, was a man of powerful stature, energetic for hard labor, chopping and clearing land and splitting rails to fence same, and ready to do a hard day's work for others. The land clearing was for others at a low cash rate. He never owned land in Dorchester, but in the early seventies, with a large family moved to a new section of Ontario, north east of Georgian Bay called Muskoka district. Here his family made progress in a business way and his sons became prominent and enjoyed or endured the municipal honors for a period of time. This half-uncle took kindly to rifle and shot-gun during active years and found much satisfaction in bagging game and killing the wild beasts that haunted the forests of that day.

The history of our uncle's and their families as well as our own families, you are, or ought to be, famillar with, however I will say that the uncles are all deceased, Robert James dying near the place he spent his active life at the early age of fifty-five years with anemia the direct cause, and his entire family of ten children are dead ere this date, with possible exception of cousin Martha Shuttleworth of Brandon, who was alive about twenty months ago, not hearing since that date. It was at her home where the first Newell reunion was held in 1920. One son John Robert spent his entire life of sixty-nine years half a mile from his place of birth on a farm, and is buried in a country cemetry (Ingersoll Cemetry). His wife is also buried there.

The youngest son of the family unmarried spent many years in the Canadian Northwest provinces, and enlisted in World War I as a British soldier. He was made Captain of the company and died in action early in 1915, aged about thirty-nine years.

Our Uncle John's sons and daughters went to Michigan with their parents in 1882 and married and scattered into other sections of the country. One Edward living in Centralia Washington, Frank died at San Diego, California, William at Wallace, Idaho, Arron at Seattle. Washington Robert James who remained in Ontario, Canada. during his active life, died at Detroit, Michigan in March 1931, Wellington died at Yale. Michigan a few years ago. one sister Anna (Mrs. Wolch) dying at Flint, Michigan in the year of 1930, one sister Mary Ellen (Moore), still living near Detroit, Michigan, and the youngest sister, Mina living at San Diego, California.

Three sons of Uncle William George, Robert, James, and Leslie, and Mrs. Mary Johnston, still live near their childhood home. Two daughters live at Detroit, Michigan.

The original homestead of Grandfather in Dorchester is now attached to the adjoining farm and all the buildings dismantled. A small section of orchard remains as a landmark to this pioneer home with its activities of eighty years ago, only a matter of past history.

I will say the farm where the first five children of our parents were born is now owned by a man at a distance and is used solely as a cattle pasture. The out buildings fell down with age and the house is uninhabitable. These observations I noted carefully when in the locality in the year of 1929.

I note I neglected to mention aunt Margaret Jane Johnon's family in regular order. She married in early life and lived about two miles from the parental home from the date of her marriage. In the early months of the year 1854 to about 1876 when the family moved to the Township of Aldborough, County of Elgin, on the north shore of Lake Erie, where Uncle and Aunt died at an advanced age. One son Robert Henry dying in early manhood years. William and Richard still live in, or near Rodney. One daughter Hanne, died about middle age and youngest daughter also residing there. Another son, Benjamin, spent his early business years there, later moving to Lambton County, Ontario, and later to Webb, Saskatchewan, and later to Swift Current, Saskatchewan, and later to Vancouver, British Columbia.

I hope the above mentioned facts may be of some use to each of you. who may receive a copy. Some of the dates may not be absolutely correct, but in main, are fully reliable. Much more could have been said and details mentioned that might not be of general interest and no doubt many times of interest have been overlooked or omitted.

While our ancestors and relatives may not be classed as exceptionally brilliant or attaining great fame, still they were independent, self-supporting, having numerous loyal friends and were generally active in community life and played well their part as good citizens or subjects of the land of their nativity, ever ready to sound the praises of the British Empire and wishing well the young Commonwealth of Canada which, in the hundred years from date of landing to the present, has undergone many changes incidental to a new country. And many of these pioneer relatives lived to see the Confederation Act of 1867, effective, making one Dominion from the independent Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Upper and lower Canada, and all the British Northwest territory to the Pacific coast, merged into one Dominion and under one Central Government with constitutional limitations.

Each brother receiving this brief write up can add to it any items of Interest you may recall and worthy of mention and can cause this to be copied and handed on to your children. If they deem It worthy can thus preserve the ideas and facts as presented in this letter.

I know of no source from which you, or they, can get more accurate statements of our ancestry of the Newell name at this late date. It may be easy to carry forward the write up relating to the younger generations non active or of those that are still children.

It is a matter of satisfaction to myself that I have even the limited knowledge of our ancestry that I have, and take it for granted that others feel likewise on the subject, hence I have given some time and thought to prepare the manuscript for this lengthy letter.

Trusting that each of us six brothers yet alive may continue the race to the end, enjoying life to the limit without suffering the pangs of long continued disease, and that when the end is in sight we may say we have done our bit towards society and mankind in general, and be prepared for a safe entrance into the realms of a future state, etc., I am ----

Your brother,
(passed away July 23, 1932
at Le Mars, Iowa.)

Appendix A

When Henry Newell compiled the History of the Newell family, he says that Hannah Lindsay Newell persuaded her aged father, John Lindsay sr. to Join the rest of the Lind says and make the trip to Canada but did not know if John Lindsay's wife was still alive. Her name was Martha Wallace, a native of Scotland. She was still living and crossed with the rest of the family. Her husband died six weeks after the families arrived at Bytown in Lower Canada. she kept house for her son, William Lindsay, which Henry Newell mentioned in his History and was still living when the families moved to Malahide Township in Upper Canada and continued to keep house for William Lindsey, her son. until he married Catherine Eaton some time around the year 1860. When she passed away, she was first buried in the Humphrey Johnson Cemetery. Later it is believed that Trinity Cemetery in Malahide Township was established and William Lindsay had his mother re-buried in Trinity Cemetery

Mr. Newell also mentioned the names of the Lindsay family but failed to mention Mary Ann Lindsay who was married to William Crawford and who was with the Lindsays, Newells and Nesbitts when they arrived in Malahide Township and had a Crown Deed of fifty acres near the old settlement.

He also mentioned that a boy by the name of Joseph Nesbitt married Martha Newell but failed to mention that there was another Nesbitt boy with the old families when they arrived in Malahide Township. His name was William Nesbitt and he married Betty Lind say, a daughter of Tom Lindsay also mentioned in the Newell History. They had a Crown Deed of one hundred acres of land in the old settlement and many of their descendants still live in St. Thomas, Aylmer and Springfield not far from the old settlement. Also a large group of this branch of the family moved to Michigan years ago and settled in Brown City and Marlette district and their descendants are still there.

I should also like to suggest that the Nesbitt families were in Bytown, Lower Canada when the Lindsays arrived. I have been told that the Ne shitts came from the County Down but I believe that they came from the County Cavine from which the Lindsays cane. I also belleve that they arrived in Bytown from Ireland in 1823 which was some years ahead of the arrival of the Lindsay and Newell families.

I have added this note so that everyone who was attached to the Lindsays, Newells and Nesbitts would have honourable mention in this History

Added by ...... Fred Lindsay