Settlers Along Lac Mousseau Road in Gatineau Park 1850-1910
By Bill McGee, 17 Nov 2018
The three connected lakes - Meech Lake, Lac Mousseau1 and Lac Philippe, now in Gatineau Park, were used by the earliest settlers in Ste. Cecile de Masham, Ovide Belanger and lsaie Brazeau, who came by means of the lakes2. Also, according to Norma and Stuart Geggie, "A stage coach service (une diligence) was operated between Ste Cecile de Masham and Hull, following the chain of lakes, until about 1910."2
An article in the Ottawa Citizen in October 1928 commenting on the area in question, said that, although the drive along the road was 'scenically beautiful', 'an automobile is not helped by being driven there'.
In the 1960s Mrs Sheila Thomson interviewed and recorded conversations with several former residents or knowledgeable persons of the area. The main source was John Anthony Cafferty (1886- ), who was born in what is now the Herridge Lodge, and subsequently lived on Cafferty Road just off Cross Loop Rd in Farm Point.
This report is an attempt to provide a few more details to supplement Mrs Thomson's accounti.
The discussion will focus on the locations of the settlements. Working from the north, I have 5 districts
1. Mousseau at the northern end of the lake
2. Daley-Nichols-Hogan-Filion-Edge at the intersection of Trails 50 and 52
3. Cafferty-Healey at the Herridge and Healey cabins
4. Dean-Finnerty-Doraty between Flynn Creek and MacDonald Bay Road on trail 50 (an offshoot of the main road)
5. Gillespie-Furey-McGuire-Flynn-Robertson on the property now used for the Canadian Prime Minister's Cottage at Harrington Lake.
A brief summary of the history is this. The settlements started about 1850, which is twenty or thirty years later that the settlements nearby. The settlements, except for the Healey farm and the Fox Farm, ended about 1910-1920. Mr William Cameron Edwards, an Ottawa lumber merchant, purchased all the land around Lac Mousseau, and much else nearby, starting about 1895, probably for his Ottawa lumber business. When W. C. Edwards died in 1921, his nephew Lieutenant Colonel Cameron MacPherson Edwards inherited this land, bought a sawmill on the lake, demolished it, and built the cottage now used by the Prime Minister of Canada. C M Edwards subsequently teamed with W H Herridge, an Ottawa lawyer, and Herridge built another cottage on the lake , and converted the Cafferty home to Herridge Lodge, now used as a shelter. Gatineau Park was started in 1938, and the Edwards-Herridge properties were purchased for $232,000 in 1951. Roads were built to form Trail 52 to Wakefield, and the Fox Farm Road Trail 50 was extended to Pine Road to Cascades about the same time. These now form trails, accessing Parking lots P16 and P17. Also about the same time a group of ski enthusiasts, John Clifford and Steve proposed a Harrington Lake Ski Lift at the south-east end of the lake, but this idea was rejected by the Gatineau Park land owner, the Federal District Commission. As well, at this time, the portion of the road from Meech Lake was taken out of access, so that it is not possible to go from Lac Mousseau to Meech Lake on the old road; this area is restricted, as is all of Lac Mousseau, and the shoreline, and other, unspecified areas near the lake. It is planned to make a year-round trail of the road used by the Healeys to go to Farm Point, currently nominally a snowshoe trail.
In some cases it is useful to know the lot numbers, which are displayed on the following map, along with the names of individual grantees, but not companies, such as Canada Iron Mining, which had extensive holdings.
1. Mousseau Region
The lake is in Eardley Twp, but Mousseau's church was in Masham township.
Mrs Thomson recounts a conversation with Edgar Dussault, a Mousseau descendant. Thomas Mousseau from L'Assomption, worked for Philemon Wright as a foreman, and had a hotel in Aylmer in 1830, and had 17 children. A son, Louis Mousseau, rented land in 1850 at the north-west tip of Lac Mousseau from the MacLaren brothers of Wakefield [who were granted the land from the Crown], and Louis purchased it in 1867 for $20. Algonquin Indians would camp near their cabin. Later, about 18813, Louis and family moved to Deschenes. One winter seven bears were killed at the lake. Louis Mousseau died in 1885 in Aylmer at age 63. He appeared twice in the 1881 Census, in Eardley, and Hull, but son Joseph does not appear in Hull; he may have stayed longer by Lac Mousseau than the rest of the family.
I cannot find a Mousseau family for 1891, and in the 1901 Census Joseph Mousseau, a blacksmith, is in Aylmer, and Charles is recorded living in Hull; Charles is also noted in a land purchase from the Conroys of Deschenes. But the 1871 and 1881 Census has the family at Lac Mousseau. But Joe must have lived here, because, for example, John Cafferty in Mrs Thomsons notes said
Joe Mousseau's place was near the north end of Harrington Lake -
the clearing west of the road, just north of the NCC gate.
The first line shows son Charles Mousseau giving the lot to wife Emilie Larose. Line 2 shows the wife of Louis Mousseau selling part of the lot to her son. The third line has sale of the northeast part of the lot to Wilhemina Saylez (1880-1966) , the daughter of Presbyterian minister Elie-Francois Saylez (1850- 1915) who preached at St Marc's in Ottawa from 1892 to 1915, when he died. The fifth line has Wilhemina giving the lot to her mother Catherine Alexander, but line 6 has the land reverting to the Mousseau clan in 1909. Meanwhile, line 4, Wyman and Frederick Lusk4 have sold the northwest corner to Francis Bourgeau. Line 7 shows the land held for payment of taxes, which were evidently paid, and the land passes to Jean-Baptiste Larose, presumably a relative of the wife of Charles Mousseau. Line 9 shows the southwest portion sold (1912) by Joseph Parizeau to Alexander Campbell. Then, in line 12, Thomas Brooks sells the southeast portion to Joseph Parizeau. In 1916 the Larose clan sells their land to Louis de Gascoyne Raby, the then Registrar of the Quebec courthouse. Mr Raby had one son who became a priest at University of Ottawa. Finally near the bottom of the sheet, W C Edwards has title to the southwest quarter of the lot, and Mr Raby the northern half.
Edwards then obtains the southeast quarter of the lot (the road side) in 1929 in s series of transactions involving Lise Bourgeau (1927), Joseph Bourgeau, Alise O'Hagan wife of J. Jacques, (1928) Herbert E Miller and Samuel Willoughby, eventually to Cameron Edwards in 1929. The record also shows an obligation between T M Mullin and wife Bertha and Mr Raby.
The FDC enters a notice of expropriation, presumably for the Raby lands in the north in 1939, which involves a sale to the FDC by the Raby family in 1940 (about 100 acres), and finally the sale by Edwards and Herridge to the FDC in 1951. The same persons sold the adjacent lot 9, which contains an approach to the Lusk Caves.
The question for me is what were people doing on this land in the 1900s, and perhaps there was a use of the Mousseau buildings, perhaps as cottages, or even another cottage in the area. But there seems little evidence on this matter. And it does not appear that the land was being farmed after the Mousseau family left.
2. Daley-Nichols-Hogan-Filion Region
Richard Daley was granted the southern half of lot 6, range 12 of Eardley. The land is at the junction of trail 52 and 50, and extends to the lake. To the east is a turning which contains a clearly visible Charcoal Making Machine5.
Richard Daley (1855-01926) married Bridget McCloskey daughter of Patrick McCloskey. They had 11 children. Daley moved to Ottawa after leaving this area, and remarried twice. Richard Daley's mother was Mary Walsh, but I do not know an relationship with John Walsh of adjacent lot 7B range 12.
From the land records it appears that Daley owned other lots. For example, the lot next to the Mousseau, lot 7A, the north half of lot 7, is
This shows Daley selling lot 7A to Dr Joseph E Fontaine, a doctor in Hull and a Medical Inspector, in 1906 and to Joseph and Pierre Aubertin in 1907. Dr Fontaine then sells to Honore Archambault in 1918, and Archambault then sells to Mary Shea the widow of Patrick Blanchfield in May 1918, to William Scott in 1920, and W C Edwards in 1921, and Mary Shea sells land back to Honore Archambault.
The records for Lot 7B, the south half of the lot 7 in Range 12, shows
Joseph Dalpé selling a sawmill to Jules Hupe in 1900, and John Walsh selling to Richard Daly in 1903. The date of 1903 is of the registration. Since the Hull Registry Office Fire of 1900 destroyed all the records, Daley may well have had access to this land before 1903. John Walsh was the original lot owner from the Crown. Then the same vendors appear as for lot 7A.
The land record for lot 6B is almost identical to that for 7B, except that Daley, being the original owner, has no transaction with John Walsh. Walsh may have been an uncle of Daley's because in the 1881 census he is leving with Richard Daley.
The record for the northern part of lot 6, 6A, is completely different, and was never part of the Herridge- Edwards purchase.
The lot 6A was granted by the Crown to Augustine Lacharite, and the Lacharite family had many Daley connections. Although the record does not show a sale to Thomas Gosselin, one time mayor of Ste Cecile de Masham, he is the vendor to the FDC, along with Gaudias Dion. Mathias J Daly appears to be from a family in South Hull. Gaudias Dion, Leopold Beadoin and Thomas Gosselin appear to be from Ste- Cecile de Masham. This lot contains part of trail 52, and leads to the two lots owned by Luke Brown Sr. and Jr. Miss Ella W Rondeau was the daughter of Francois and Mary Rondeau, who had a grocery store at the corner of Alice and Gatineau Road in 1912 in Hull.
The 1881 and 1891 census contains the family of Daniel Nichol and Rebecca McCorkell. They were previously in Masham township, in 1871, on Lot 1, Range 1 of Masham. The question is where they farmed.
Road at the intersection with the road to Black Luke Brown's. The
old Daly place, on Mousseau Lake Road, a meadow hillside to the
east of the road, open swamp land to the west of the road. Hogan
As for the Nichol farm, Cafferty recalled
The Nichol farm was west of the road, opposite the 'Council
Road' that ran past Black Luke Brown's. Dave Nichol married
Minnie Flynn. Jim Nichol married old. His wife lives at Wakefield.
Thus, sitting on the bench at the corner, you are looking at the Nichol farm, according to these notes.
But, if the road to Luke Brown's farm started from the Charcoal Maker, (two possibilities shown in blue on the second map) then Nichol would have been there, and Daley could have been where trail 52 meets 50. These are the 1:2500 maps of 1962, with a 200-metre grid. The second option would meet another criterion of John Cafferty, viz.
Dick Daly, left an orphan at 15, used to pass the Cafferty
clearing at 4 a.m., hauling cordwood. Location of Dick Daley's
place - up the hillside, east of the road. Apparently there was
a spring up the hillside beyond the house. "He was the only man
in this country with water in the house. He left it running all
the time. Gravity feed."
But John Cafferty gave many more people living in the area. One was Mr Hogan. There are Hogan's in Farm Point, perhaps one of those.
east of the road, open swamp land to the west of the road. Hogan
lived on Nichol's road, the next place to Nichols, not far along.
Then he mentions Phil Edge
Phil Edge lived somewhere along this road, too.
but the specific location is not clear.
Gillespie's place was at the south end of Harlington (Mousseau) Lake. Speak-
ing of the isolation of these Mousseau Lake folks, one of the
settlers [Hogan or Edge?] had a place along the road and "Dan
Healey never knew he was there!" Somewhere along the Nichols road
was the McGooey lot, a 400-acre bush lot. There was never a
clearance there. The land was bought by Charlie Flynn. Pat
Hendrick had land somewhere in here.
Here is a 1946 map of the FDC showing ideas for roads through Gatineau Park, with a suggested trail 52 indicated.
John Cafferty mentions a McGoey bush lot:
Healey never knew he was there!" Somewhere along the Nichols road
was the McGooey lot, a 400-acre bush lot. There was never a
clearance there. The land was bought by Charlie Flynn. Pat
Hendrick had land somewhere in here.
This McGoey land is actually lots 4 and 5 of Range 11 of Eardley. It goes west from the Cafferty lot to Lac Mousseau, and is not near Nichol's road.
From Bytown or Bust:
In the lineage of the Farrellton McGoeys was a son named Thomas (b. ~1804, d. 1881). Interestingly enough, he was the Thomas McGoey who married into the Philemon Wright family and went onto become a lumber baron in his own right. He was actually married to Philemon Wright's grand-daughter Pamela Wright. From what I've found, he was the first of that McGoey side to settle at Farrellton. It seems that this Thomas McGoey built a hotel or stop over around present day Farrellton for his men and teams drawing supplies to his bush operation in the North. He gave these properties to his nephew William Farrell (son of Patrick Farrell in whose honour Farrellton is named, and McGoey's younger sister Ellenor).
McGoey House, 41 Aylmer Road, Lucerne, Quebec
This unusual pattern book" house of Italianate design has a heavily accented roof-line with supporting brackets, lacy, wrought iron crown or widow's walk on top with delicate corner spires, gay little rounded-top Windows on the third floor and a peaked, triangular centrepiece. It was built in 1871 for Joseph McGocy, a lumber entrepreneur on the Gatineau River Houses of this type were called "villas" and this is one of the few in the region and probably the finest. The window trim on brick is of stone, moulded with decorative keystones and the small reviewing balcony" over the front entrance is also rare. Franklyn Grimes bought the property in 1899 and the Grimes family occupied the house until 1960.
Maison McGoey, 41, chemin Aylmer, Lucerne, Québec
Cette maison inhabituelle à l'italienne a me ligne de faire très accentuée avec des tits seaux, une plate-forme d'observation tour de guet ornée de dentelle de fer forgé sur le toit avec de délicates flèches aux coins, de petites fenêtres gaies au sommet arrondi au troisieme étage et un pignon central triangulaire. Elle fut construite en 1871 pour Joseph McGoey, exploitant forestier sur la riviere Gatineau Les maisons de ce genre étaient appelées "villas," et c'est l'une des rares qui resten dans la région et probablement la plus belle Le parement des fenêtres sur la brique est en pierre moulée avec des clefs de voute décoratives, et le petit balcon de parade au-dessus de l'entrée principale est également rare. Franklyn Grimes acheta le propriété en 1899 et la famille Grimes occupa la maison jusqu'en 1960.
John Mulvihill owned Lot 3B, range 12 in 1900, but sold it to Freeman T Cross in 1912, presumably as a woodlot.
John Mulvihill had settled first at Healey's (Mousseau Lake
Road) and later moved out to the Brookdale Farm site on the road
to Cascades. [This was Richard Mulvihili's grandfather.]
Lot 3B is northwest of the Healey land (Lot 2, Range 11), and north of the Cafferty lot 3, rang 11. The current trail to the Healey cabin proceeds almost straight west towards the Mulvihill lands in range 12, when it turns to the Healey lands and goes south to the cabin. Might this road have originally also gone to John Mulvihill's land? But, oddly, James Cafferty, son of Anthony, is listed in rang 12 in the 1871 census on this land.
3. Hendrick-Cafferty-Healey-Hupé Region
Driscoll's Field Book for the Survey of 1851 mentions a Hendrick clearing and house, just before the Town Line between Eardley and Hull townships, on the survey line between ranges 11 and 12. Here are the notes for the line for lot 1, starting from the west. Oddly enough, the road mentioned running SW at 7.50 chains is just where the trail to the Healey farm from P15 takes a turn south, indicating that this trail may be one of the first roads on the district. Also, since Patrick Hendrick would have been only 15 in 1850, the Hendrick mentioned was likely his father or an older brother.
Patrick Hendrick was granted lot 3, range 11 of Eardley. Patrick Hendrick subsequently moved to the Meech Valley, and Anthony Cafferty took over the land at Lot 3; the Caffertys built the cabin that is now the Herridge Lodge. The Healeys occupied lot 2, range 11 of Eardley and this land was never in the Edwards-Herridge holdings. Their home is now the Healey cabin. A Hupé family was on the same lot in the 1911 Census. Hupé may have lived here and worked on the aforementioned sawmill on Richard 15 Daley's land to the northwest. The school for nearby Eardley residents was on the Healey land and had about a dozen students in the late 1800s.
The land records for lot 3, range 11 are the same for lots 3A and 3B, and are
This records the transfer from Patrick Hendrick to the Cafferty family, James having the land in 1903. James dies in 1915 and his wife inherits, and sells to William C Edwards in 1921. This is part of the transfer to the FDC in 1951, except that Herridge has an agreement in 1951 during his lifetime that lapses in 1958, presumably access to his lodge on the trail, for skiing. Herridge has meantime built a lovely cottage near the lake, which is now used for guests of the Prime Minister; there is (2018) a closed gate on the road to this cottage. The record for lot 3B includes a transfer by Mr Raby of an island.
The Healey records are simple and complicated. For lot 2A, there are no records whatsoever except for a judgment in 19 of ownership of Lots 2A and 2B, and subsequent sale, on the same day, to the FDC in 1953.
But the records for lot 2B, the southern half are interesting. I feel that these may have been entered incorrectly.
However, we do see Charles Flynn selling land to W C Edwards in 1916, so perhaps Flynn was on this land; Flynn creek runs through it. John Cafferty related his family history to Mrs Thomson, which I summarize. Anthony Cafferty went from Ballynahaglishiii parish, Co. Mayo, to Cincinnati, Ohio, and came to Canada in Civil War times. Anthony's wife was Margaret Gillespie, and they met Gillespies in Ottawa, and they walked up to meet the Gillespies at the south end of Lac Mousseau, and decided to move to the area. First they settled (and were granted) land on Meech Lake where the Alexanders later lived. Then they lived in a cabin on Gillespie property on Lac Mousseau, and subsequently bought Patrick Hendricks property, Lot 3, Range 11 of Eardley. They first lived in a cabin on the east side of the Lac Mousseau Road, and then moved to the home that is now Herridge Lodge. John Anthony Cafferty was born there in 1886, son of James Cafferty ( 1844 -1917) and Catherine O'Reilly (1854-1925). His grandparents were Anthony Cafferty (1814-1905) and Margaret Gillespie (1825-1904), both born in Ireland, and buried in Old Chelsea. John Cafferty was involved (1948) in the construction of the Bell Telephone line from Old Chelsea to Wakefield. His wife Margaret Brennan died in 1945.
One of John Cafferty's uncles, John Cafferty, son of Anthony Cafferty and Margaret Gillespie, was born in 1859 in Quebec. He married Julia Healey, daughter of Edward Healey and Bridget Dean in 1895. She was born on 20 May 1865 in Old Chelsea.
The Healey family has been extensively documented6, and the jist of the story is this. Edward Healey and Bridget Dean arrived in Old Chelsea about 1862. Son Daniel Healey inherited the farm, and married Catherine Lipton of Aylmer and had 8 children, Joe, Stanley, Maizie, Patrick, Edmond, Margaret, and twins Dorothy and Doreen. The Healeys knew W H Herridge, a relative of Prime Minister Robert Borden, and Canadian ambassador to Washington; while in Washington Herridge hired Joe and Edmond Healey, and they stayed in Washington. Stanley Healey subsequently worked at the PM Cottage on Las Mousseau, and brother Pat worked for Gilhooley's at the entrance to Meech Lake (Willson House).
The Healey farmhouse is now (2018) a chalet in Gatineau Park and both it and the nearby Herridge Lodge contain family histories.
Lots 1A and 1B of Range 11 have the following data. There are deeds to Charles Flynn registered after the Hull Registry Office fire. Lot 1A was sold to George W McEwen in 1904, and on his death in 1922 to various of McEwen's successors and they sold to W C Edwards in 1923. Lot 1B was sold by Charles Flynn to W C Edwards in 1913.
4. Dean-Finnerty-Doraty Fox Farm Region
As mentioned, this region is in Chelsea [formerly West Hull], in Hull township, and is a spur from the Meech Lake/Phillipe Road to the MacDonald Bay Road.
The GVHS map of 1875 landowners for this portion of Hull township follows.
Along trail 50 (Hull Range 13) it shows Lawrence Finnerty and Thomas Dean on lot 28, Thomas Dean with lot 27 (including Mud Lake), Anthony Dean, Robert Sully, and William Cross, and finally Robert Sully again. In Range 14, south half, it shows Ed Dean (Tavernkeeper), Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns of Ottawa), [presumably a woodlot), Patrick Hendrick, William Ash and William Cross again.
The story is that three Dean boys, Anthony, Edward and Thomas came from Ireland, perhaps because of the Famine, about 1850. Yet the 1851 Census shows them living with Thomas aged 58 and Mary (Burke) aged 40, on Range 13, lot 26, two lots from Joseph Harrington on Lot 28.
Edward Dean subsequently had a hotel in Old Chelsea. The Deans were granted land that was on both sides of this road. Anthony Dean's lot includes much of the MacDonald Bay trail, and included the intersection of current trails 50 and 36. Thomas Dean had land straddling trail 50 and including Lac Trudel7. The local school for West Hull residents was near Lac Trudel.
The last lot in West Hull along the Fox Farm Road, lot 28, range 13, was occupied by Joseph Harrington8, 200 acres, in 1851.
But the later grant from the Crown divided this lot in two for Patrick and Lawrence Finnerty. There is a trail, and a culvert, along the dividing line. I presume that the Finnertys lived near the Fox Farm Road, since this gives easy road access to Old Chelsea.
Patrick Finnerty (1815-1883) and Winnifred Cooligan (1816-1900) apparently had one child Catherine aged 7 born in Upper Canada, in the Census of 1861. By 1875 Patrick had located in lot 26B (S 1/2), range 12, which was subsequently taken over by Charles Flynn.
Lawrence Finnerty (1831-1886) , son of Thomas Finnerty and Bridget Dowd of Co Sligo, married Anne Daley (1836-1908) in 1858 and had 10 children baptized at St Stephens in Old Chelsea. I suppose that Lawrence and Patrick might have been brothers. They were both in the 1881 census of West Hull. The family with widow Anne is in the 1891 census. In 1901 Anne is living with her daughter Mary Powers in Ottawa, but I cannot locate the rest of the family except Richard boarding with another family.
According to John Cafferty in Mrs Thomson's 'Recollections', the Finnerty property was occupied by Mr Burke, and then fur farming was started on the Finnerty property by Mr Clark. In 1935 Col Edwards asked Harvey and Jean Doraty from Saskatchewan to take over the fur farm, and he and his family lived here till 1953, shortly after Edwards and Herridge sold the land for inclusion in Gatineau Park, when the Doratys retired to Stittsville9. Mrs Carol Martin of Farm Point, a prominent local historian very involved with the Gatineau Valley Historical Society, was related to Mrs Doraty, and has written extensively about the Avion Fur Farm10. The concrete foundations of at least two of the farm buildings remain, as well as the well of the farm house, near trail 50. A frame building for farm workers was dismantled, taken to Stittsville, and used as the Doraty home there.
The eastern half, 26B for Thomas Dean in 1875, shows Charles E Graham selling to John T Dean in 1909, thence to John Hendricks in 1923, to Michael Hendrick in 1924 and finally to Cameron Edwards in 1929. have no mention of them
The land records for the western half, which the 1875 GVHS maps shows 26A for Finnerty property starting in 1901 are as follows.
This has Patrick Finnerty selling to Thomas Dean, recorded in 1901, Dean selling to John Hendrick in 1908, to Michael J Hendrick in 1924. There are then a variety of sales involving mining rights, and finally Michael J Hendrick assembling all the rights before selling to Cameron Edwards in 1929.
This area is actually included in Hogarth's Geological map and shows a body of granite on this lot.
Hogarth also shows the trail dividing the two halves of lot 28
Hogarth shows mica mines here.11
There are many photographs and a painting of the Fur Farm on the GVHS website, such as the following, which is a not too accurate painting facing south west towards the proposed Harrington Lake ski hills.
5. Gillespie-Furey-Mcguire-Flynn-Robertson Region Near Pm Cottage
This region containing the Prime Minister's Harrington Lake Cottage is currently not accessible. There were four families with Gillespie ancestors: Anthony Cafferty (1814-1905) married Margaret Gillespie (1825-1904), Thomas Furie (1807-1892) married Hannah Gillespie (1836-1912) and Patrick Gillespie (1824-1860) married Catherine Coleman (1827-1895). Charles Flynn (1830-1918) married Mary Gillespie (1848-1902) the eldest daughter of Patrick Gillespie and Catherine Coleman.
Patrick Gillespie died much earlier than his wife Catherine, and the family lot went to son John Gillespie and wife Catherine Mulvihill.
In the land registration for Range 10 of Eardley township, Catherine Coleman, widow of Patrick Gillespie, was granted the southern half of lot 2, and a northern quarter of lot 1. Thomas Furie was granted the rest of Lot 1, and Catherine Barrett, widow of Michael McGuire, was granted the upper half of lot 2, and Thomas McGuire lot 3. Lot 3 was on both sides of Lac Mousseau, and it seems to me that the valuable portion was that on the eastern side.
Thomas McGuire (1844-1930) died in Rushseba township, Chisago County, Minnesota, married, and the son of Michael McGuire and Catherine Barrett.
Charles Flynn (1830-1918) was born in Canada the son of Charles Flynn and Bridget Barrett, who, in 1851 lived at the sw corner of Notch and Mine Roads, which, in 1875, was owned by Jeremiah Blake with wife Anne Flynn. Apparently Charles had three wives, Margaret Shea , Mary Gillespie (with whom he had at least 12 children) and Marguerite Paquette (who he married when he was aged 75 years). In the 1861 Census Charles, wife Margaret Shea (1828-1865), Patrick Shea and Bridget Blake, perhaps the daughter of his sister Anne, and were in Lot 26, Range 12, Hull Twp, which is a little (probably 35 acres) plot of land on the east side of Meech Lake east of MacDonald Bay next to Dominick Barrett and wife Sophia Flynn.
In the 1871 census, Charles has a new wife, Mary Gillespie (1848-1902) and three children and is living in lots 2 and 3 of Range 9, Eardley, which is McKinstry land currently circled by the Wolf trail. But I think that this is an error, and that the census should indicate range 10. because the census taker also puts Catherine Gillespie at Range 9, which does not make sense to me. Assuming this error, the family thus seems to have moved to a more or less permanent location near the Gillespie land at the entrance to Lac Mousseau. Here Charles and Mary Gillespie have at least 13 children, and Flynn purchases many lots of land.
Here we itemize the various lands owned by Charles Flynn, as obtained from Actes in the Hull Registry office numbered 1583, 1585, 3851 and 11734. The brackets indicate the vendor. They are shown on the following map.
Eardley Range 10: lots 2A and 3 (McGuire)
Eardley Range 11: lots 1A (Sisters of Charity), 1B (Burke), 4 and 5 (McGoey)
Eardley Range 12: Lot 1 (Owen Daley)
Hull Range 14: lot 28A (Mathers).
Establishing ownership of this land, after the Hull fire of 1900 destroyed the Registry Office, required taking deeds to a Notary in Hull, when Flynn was 71. After the death of wife Mary Gillespie, Flynn married Marguerite Paquette in Ottawa, where his occupation was given as hotel keeper. Flynn died in 1918 in Ottawa and is buried in St Stephen's cemetery in Old Chelsea.
John Cafferty recalled many details about Charles Flynn to Mrs Thomson.
Mr. Cafferty named the ten Flynn boys, who had been neighbours
of the Caffertys on the Mousseau Lake Road - Johnnie, Jim, Pat,
Tommy, Mike, Pete, Joe, Martin, Dan, and Dave. The girls were
Minnie, Ellen Jane, and Laura. Laura, the youngest, whose birth
(as thirteenth child in the family) earned Charlie the free
hundred acre bush lot at Cawood from the Quebec government, is
still living, in British Columbia. One of the boys had a nervous
breakdown. "They caught him in Ottawa, bare-headed and bare-footed.
The police had to use the pinchers to get him off his father." He
indicated that the father had been pretty severe, the cause of the
Mr. Cafferty was never sure where Charlie Flynn had been
born. He thought perhaps he had come from the States. He had
friends in the States. Someone thought that he might have been
born at the Blake place on the Mine Road (first fara on the
southwest side after the Notch Road intersection). Mrs. Blake was
Flynn's parents and several brothers moved to Minnesota.
At one time, the east side of Meach Lake had all been settled.
He spoke of Charlie Flynn acquiring land and settling near the old
Healey farm on the Mousseau Lake Road. Then he took over Maguire's
place [north end of Meach Lake?]. He was also established once
near Macdonald Bay on Meach Lake. At another time he was near the
foot of McCloskey Hill, west side of the Lake. He got ten acres
here for about $10 from the government. John Cafferty spoke of
Charlie's boys being "down on him for being so tight [stingy].
He made his wife's coffin himself, using up all his small bits of
lumber!" He married a second time - Gillespie's sister. "She was
the one who had thirteen children." At one time they lived near
the Ottawa River [on the Quebec side - or in Ottawa?] near where
the new Macdonald-Cartier Bridge is now. He used to sell whisky.
It was a bad neighbourhood for fighting. His boys began to get
Charlie Flynn once had a place, ten acres or so, near the
foot of McCloskey's Hill. He took up the land "free" - ten acres
for ten dollars. Bourgon (Bourgeau) [Bourgoist] gave Flynn a price for the
farm. Flynn then rented Burke's old place. Tom Gillen's place
on Meach Lake was later Mrs. Tilley's place [is this the squared
timber place between road and lakeshore?] The Finnerty farm was
on the east side of Meach Lake, near McDonald Bay. Charlie Plynn
had owned this land first. Sold to the Finnertys.
Flynn's farm buildings were located towards the foot of the
hill past Stan Healey's present home [Harrington Lake, southeast
end]. The clearing was on the west side of the road.
Mary's Ridge (Mary Flynn?) was on the west side of the road,
just before the old school (Flynn's School). Mary grew vegetables
on the ridge.
This suggests that Flynn's clearing was on the Meech Lake Road south of the intersection with the Fox Farm Road, on lot 2A, range 10.
- Township of Eardley.
- Range IX, Lots 1, 2, 3. -Indications of mica.
- Range X, Lot 2 N.1. -Owned by Mr. Charles Flynn. Has been prospected and good outcrops reported north of Lake Mousseau.
- Range XI, Lot 3. Indications of mica.
- Lot 6 N.1/2. -Owned by the Grey Nuns of Ottawa, and exploited in 1899 with seven men. A quantity of mica was secured, some of the crystals being of large dimensions.
- Range XII, Lot 6. -Indications of mica.
- Range XIII, Lot 9. -Indications of mica.
- Also called Harrington Lake
- Norma and Stuart Geggie, 'LaPeche, A History of the townships of Wakefield and Masham in the Province of Quebec, 1792 to 1925', Historical Society of the Gatineau, expanded edition, 1980.
- Louis Mousseau was enumerated in both Hull and Eardley in 1881; double counting.
- Wyman Lusk (1850-1926) and Frederick Stanley Lusk (1859-1944), brothers and sons of Joseph Findlay Lusk and Rebecca Agret, and grandsons of Joseph Lusk and Esther Bulmer. Source Lusk Genealogy.
- Denis Messier, Gatineau Hills Forest Industry 1800 to 1938 | Myth or Reality? The Axe Before the Plow, Fall 2007 National Capital Commission's The Gatineau Park Chronicle.
- Up the Gatineau!, Vol 30, 2004, pp. 24-30, articles by Allan Richens and Ernie Mahoney.
- Formerly Mud Lake [this name occurred at least 3 times in Gatineau Park], renamed officially in 1970; the Quebec Commission de Toponymie has not determined the significance of this name. http://www.toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/ct/ToposWeb/Fiche.aspx?no_seq=63986
- John Cafferty told Mrs Sheila Thomson that the Harringtons (Hetherington) had 4 connections with Lac Mousseau, and, given the 1851 Census reference, Joseph Harrington may very well have been the first settler in the area. The Hetheringtons later settled on the Mountain Road, and that property is partly in the park which property is still (2018) private. Michael Reford published a paper on the Mountain Road property: Michael Reford, 'The Hetherington Farm', Up The Gatineau!, Vol 19, pp 31-35.
- Son John Doraty led a hike to the Farm about 2012 and recounted that the NCC built trail 50 to Pine Road in Cascades shortly after their departure, and this road sliced through their back yard.
- Carol Martin, 'Avion Fur Farm', Up the Gatineau!, vol 29, pp 17-21. Also Carol Martin, 'The Old Fox Farm in Gatineau Park', The Gatineau Park Chronicle, Fall 2007, NCC. Also several photographs on the GVHS website.
- Anyone attempting to follow Hogarth's trail to the MacDonald Bay Road is advised to stick to high ground, rather than go near Meech Lake, which part of the trail is now overgrown with fallen trees.
- The 1862 Census has William the son of William and Ann Cameron.
William C Edwards
John Edwards s'associe, vers 1850, à A.R. Cameron pour former la Cameron & Edwards Company; la compagnie construit une scierie à Thurso, Québec et à Rockland, Ontario. Son fils13, William C. Edwards (1844-1921), entre au service de la compagnie en 1863. À la suite du feu de la scierie de Rockland en 1867, W.C. Edwards fonde la W.C. Edwards Company et reconstruit des usines à Rockland (Ontario) et à New Edinburgh (Ontario), tout en continuant d'exploiter des coupes de bois au Québec. The BanQ in Hull has 11 meters of archives from the W C Edwards Co.
William Cameron Edwards (7 May 1844 – 17 September 1921) was a Canadian businessman and parliamentarian.
He was born in Clarence Township in Russell County, Ontario, the son of William Edwards and Ann Cameron, received basic schooling in Ottawa and, at a young age, began work in the timber industry at Thurso, Quebec. He founded W.C. Edwards & Company which built large sawmills at Rockland and New Edinburgh. Up until 1920, Edwards' company also operated a sawmill on the Petite-Nation River in Quebec at North Nation Mills, north of Plaisance.
In 1885, he married Catherine Wilson.
A Liberal, he was five times elected as a Member of Parliament representing the Ontario electoral district of Russell. He was first elected in the Canadian federal election of 1887, and was re-elected in 1888, 1891, 1896 and 1900. On 17 March 1903 he was appointed to the Senate of Canada upon the recommendation of Sir Wilfrid Laurier. He represented the senatorial division of Russell County, Ontario until his death in Ottawa.
At one time, Edwards owned the residence at 24 Sussex Drive, having purchased it from Joseph Merrill Currier in 1902. Ironically his nephew Cameron Macpherson Edwards's home, Harrington Lake, is now the country retreat of the Prime Minister of Canada.
Edwards was also president of Canada Cement Company, was a noted livestock breeder and served as president of the Russell Agricultural Society.
His nephew Gordon Cameron Edwards also served in the House of Commons of Canada.
The 1862 Census has
Cameron Macpherson Edwards
Name: Edwards, Cameron MacPherson
Date of birth: 1881-09-28
Place of birth: North Nation Mills, Quebec
Next of kin: Agnes Wallace Edwards (wife), c/o Watson and Todd Ltd., Ottawa, Ontario
Marital status: married
Occupation (attested): lumberman
Height: 69 inches
Chest size (inches): 37
Chest expansion (inches): 3.5
Regimental number: NA
Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
Unit: 38th Battalion
Date enlisted: 1915-02-01
Location enlisted: Ottawa, Ontario
Previous military experience: yes
Survived war: yes
Battle wounded/killed: wounded at Vimy April 9, 1917
Distinguished Service Order
Description: Lt.-Col. Cameron Macpherson Edwards, Can. Inf.For conspicuous gallantry in action. He organised his battalion for attack, and carried out a dashing assault in a snowstorm with conspicuous success. He set a splendid example of courage and initiative throughout.
Date of citation: 1917-01-10
Date of award: 1917-01-10
Source: London Gazette
Distinguished Service Order First Bar
Date of citation: 1918-05-31
Source: London Gazette issue 30716, page 6457
Medaille d'Honneur Avec Glaives
Date of citation: 1917-01-09
Source: London Gazette issue 32113, page 10743
Distinguished Service Order Second Bar
Description: CANADIAN FORCE.Lt.-Col. Cameron Macpherson Edwards,.D.S.O./ 38th Bri.; 'Can.' Inf. '(D.S.O. 'gazetted 10th January,' 1917.)(1st1 Bar gazetted:3rd. June, 1918.) •
Date of citation: 1919-02-15
Source: London Gazette issue 31183, page 2363 (1 of 22)
Lieutenant Colonel, Army, 38th Battalion (Canadian Infantry).
Uploader's Notes: Commanding officer of the 38th Battalion CEF from January 1915. He was wounded at Vimy and took 3 months to return to duty. After the war commanded the Cameron Highlanders and the Ottawa Regiment (1920-22). He was later Honourary Colonel of the Regiment until his death. In all he served 55 years. He once resided at 24 Sussex Drive, now the Prime Minister’s residence.
|L Mousseau/A Beaulieu-Hudon||X||X||X||X|
|R Daley/B McCloskey||X||X||X||X|
|D Nichol/R McCorkell||X||X|
|? Hogan, Edge|
|J Hupé/Philion sawmill||X||X|
|J Mulvihill/S Daley||X|
|P Hendrick/J Mulvihill||X||X|
|A, Cafferty/M Gillespie|
J Cafferty/C O'Reilly
|E Healey/D Healey||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|T Dean/M Burke|
A Dean/M McDonnell
E Dean/A Burke
T Dean/M Flermming, S Furie
|J Harrington/L Benedict||X|
|L Finnerty/A Daley|
P Finnerty/W Corrigan
|H Doraty/J Parker||X||X||X|
|T Furie/H Gillespie|
T, Furie/A Murphy
|C Flynn/M Gillespie||X||X||X||X||X|
|M McGuire/C Barrett||X||X|
|P Gillespie/C Coleman|
J Gillespie/C MulvihillX
|R Robertson/E McLenahan||X||X|
|WC, CM Edwards/WD Herridge||X||X||X||X||X|
|1. MOUSSEAU REGION||4|
|2. DALEY-NICHOLS-HOGAN-FILION REGION||8|
|3. HENDRICK-CAFFERTY-HEALEY-HUPÉ REGION||14|
|4. DEAN-FINNERTY-DORATY FOX FARM REGION||16|
|5. GILLESPIE-FUREY-MCGUIRE-FLYNN-ROBERTSON REGION NEAR PM COTTAGE||20|
|William C Edwards||24|
|William Cameron Edwards||25|
|Cameron Macpherson Edwards||25|
- Sheila Thomson, Recollections ...
- Anson Gard,
- Ballynahaglish is just south of Ballina, Co. Mayo, on the border with Co. Sligo. Besides many Caffertys, the records there contain Gillespies and Flynns as well, but the Charles Flynns are more likely from Westport, Co. Mayo. And the Finnertys were from neighbouring Co. Sligo.