March 20, 2017
Low Municipality - Reflections of the Past
Speakers: Don Kealey and Lise St. Jean
About 60 people turned up on March 20 for Don Kealey's illustrated talk about the history of Low since its settlement by Irish immigrants back in 1848. Speaking at the Centre Wakefield La Pêche Library, Don gave us glimpses into the past – both his own and his ancestors', and therein lies the reason for his labour of love. Don spoke with both passion and delight, reflecting on the naming of the town after lumber baron Charles Adamson Low, the Battle of Brennan’s Hill, the arrival of the railroad, and the incredible feat of building the Paugan Falls Hydro Electric Project from 1927-29. Don’s talk was based on a book he and his collaborator, Lise St. Jean, have written and published. Entitled Low Municipality: Reflections of the Past, the book is close to 600 pages in length with reflections on the area's history and hundreds of historical photographs. It goes into third printing this fall, so click on this link if you’d like to receive a copy (selling for $65). See order information.