Gatineau River: Then and Now
Lower Gatineau River from the air in 1926 and 1997
Set 2 - Phillips Island, above Chelsea Dam (Click on images for additional details)
In the THEN view, just above the Chelsea Dam construction works, the forebay has been clear cut in preparation for flooding. Notice how the cutting limit defines the terrain that becomes Phillips' Island in the NOW image.
The THEN photo also shows the beginning of excavation in the Meredith gravel pit , on Highway 11 (now Route 105). To appreciate just how high the water rose in spring 1927, note the distance between the railway tracks and the level of the river in the two photos.
Phillips Island is named for the late Bob Phillips, a Cantley resident, who played a major role nationally in the preservation of Canada's heritage, as the founding president of the Heritage Canada Foundation. Bob was a former president of the Gatineau Valley Historical Society.
Then image (click)
Clear cutting defining Phillips Island
See also annotated image