The lost village of Cascades
The lost village of Cascades in detail - click on images below for details.
Above is an official Gatineau Power Survey Map of the Gatineau River & original Cascades Village prior to the 1927 flooding which eliminated the entire village. Photo shows Cascades as it was.
Top row - left to right: J.S. Wrightman - outfielder, L.O. Hempill - outfielder, E.C. Bill - outfielder, B.J. Saver - pitcher, H.D. Smith - 1st base, L.E. Jones - outfielder. Second row - left to right: M.M. Berrigan - shortstop, L.P. Donovan - pitcher, C.C. Johnston - 3rd base (captain), J.A. Breen - 2nd base, J.A.Jones - outfielder. Third row - left to right: J.R. Barnett - catcher, H.L. O'Neil - pitcher, P.A. Grimes - Coach (Vice President), W.H. Saver - outfielder, Jack Hill Trophy. 4th Row - left to right: J.R. Hill - President of Lower Gatineau Baseball League, J.L. Shearer - Secretary-Treasurer, E.R. Jackson - President, A.E. Powell - Manager, J.M. Hill - Donor of Jack Hill Trophy.
A 30 room hotel, circa 1890 - 1926, built & operated by the Wilson family of Cascades. Also served as post office, phone exchange, store, etc. Photo dated 1917.
1 - First Cascades Club House. 2 - The railroad station, circa 1910. Can now be seen on the Cross Farm, corner of Hwy 105 & Cross Loop. 3 - Flat-roofed building was Gordon's Store. Pioneer settlers of Cascades, circa 1830.
Northwest view of Cascades Village, May 27, 1926. The village, as seen in above photo, was comprised of locals & cottagers. Centre of picture, far distance, shows the Bates Farm on left and large Peerless Hotel. Cascades Club is centre of tree fork.
Eastern view of the village showing the 4 cascades, with a vertical drop of 7.5 feet, hence the name. Backgroung shows mountain, now known as Mount Cascades ski area. Identified above are from the left bottom of photo: Gordon - J.E. Cross Farm house, Cascades Railroad Station, old Gordon Store, Mahoney House, Martineau Section Foreman, W.C. Cross Sr. On the shoreline, left to right: Cascades Club, J. Cross cottages (2), Wright's Cottage & tennis court, Crosby Cottage, C.I.P tents.