GVHS Logo

Lost Villages:
Kirk's Ferry

This thriving hamlet took the name of Thomas Kirk of Londonderry, Ireland who came to the Gatineau around 1829. He owned property on both sides of the Gatineau River, and ran a ferry where the stream was flat and placid. By 1871, the population of Kirk’s Ferry was sixty people. The Union Mission Church served as a school on weekdays, while the two hotels at Kirk’s Ferry catered mainly to summer residents who came up from the city on the train — the railroad had been extended north in 1889 and followed the banks of the river. All this changed, however, in 1926 when the construction of the dams flooded the river: homes, businesses and cottages, the main road and the railway — all were either moved or flooded.
 

Villages Perdus :
Kirk's Ferry

Ce village prospère emprunta son nom de la part de Thomas Kirk de la ville irlandaise de Londonderry, qui immigrait à Gatineau vers 1829. Il était propriétaire de deux terrains situés sur les deux rives de la rivière Gatineau et exploitait un traversier où le cours d’eau était placide. La population de Kirk’s Ferry dénombrait quelque soixante habitants. L’église Union Mission servait comme école durant les jours de la semaine, et les deux hôtels servait nommément les résidants durant les mois d’été qui arrivaient par train en visite — la voie ferrée avait été rallongée en direction nord en 1889 et longeait la rive. Tout ceci fut modifié en 1926 à une inondation suite à la construction de barrages : des résidences, entreprises et des chalets, ainsi que la route principale et la voie ferrée furent — soit déménagés ou inondés.
 

River map


Thomas Kirk, 1783-1877 (GVHS 0267)